Attorney Ronald SykstusThe VA (Veterans Administration) has announced a new policy regarding the initial filing of a VA disability claim by a Veteran. The VA is attempting to make the claims process more uniform. As a result, effective March 24, 2015, the VA will only accept a disability claim on a completed VA Form 21-0966  Federal Register rule changes here.

Prior to this change, a Veteran did not have to use a certain form in order to seek a disability claim from the VA. Here is our previous instruction on how to file a claim PRIOR to March 24, 2015.  Our previous counsel on how to file a claim prior to this rule change.

Along with this change, the VA has also changed the requirements of a Notice of Disagreement as part of the appeal process if the Veteran does not agree with the VA’s decision regarding his or her claim.

In sum, for a veteran to make a disability claim to the VA on March 24, 2015 or thereafter, he or she must use a VA Form 21-0966 Intent to File a Claim for Compensation and/or Pension Benefits   If a veteran disagrees with a determination made by the VA regarding his or her disability claim, he or she must submit a completed VA Form 21-0958.  We believe that is absolutely mandatory that any document that is sent to the VA by a Veteran, whether it is an initial claim form, a notice of disagreement form, or any other item, should be mailed by certified mail, return receipt requested and the Veteran should keep a complete copy of the signed document for his or her file.

I handle all types of VA cases for Veterans, through the initial submission of a Notice of Disagreement to a decision that a Veteran disagrees with, all the way through the appeal of a negative  BVA (Board of Veterans Appeals) decision to the CAVC (Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims)  Please feel free to contact me if you would like assistance with your VA claim.

Printer Friendly Version