The law that applies for everything as it relates to a credit report and, specifically, how to dispute incorrect or erroneous information on your credit report is found under the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA). Please see my blog post for information on this law. Additionally, please get your free credit reports only in writing and exactly as described in my blog post here. You must get them in writing only by submitting the form and mailing it in to the annual credit report address in Atlanta. Failure to get your credit report in this manner may prohibit you from getting resolution on your credit reports because you may enter into binding arbitration.

The proper way to dispute something on your credit report is to dispute it directly with the credit reporting agencies (Equifax, Experian, or Transunion). Please ensure that you MAIL your dispute letter by certified mail, return receipt requested so that you can verify that the letter was actually received by the credit reporting agency. Please also KEEP COPIES of ALL of your letters and all documents and enclosures that you send and receive. You may send a dispute letter to each credit reporting agency (CRA) from which you have ordered, received and reviewed a copy of your credit report if you think there are errors or incorrect information.

A sample dispute letter looks something like what is set forth below. Please make sure you create your own form and tailor it to your exact problem or dispute.

Certified Mail, Return Receipt Requested
Your name
Your address
Your city, state zip code
Complaint Department
Name of Credit Report Agency (Transunion, Equifax, Experian)
City, state, zip codeDear Sir/Ma’am:After reviewing my credit report, I am writing to dispute the following information. I have circled the disputed items on my attached report. These include (list item(s) disputed by name of source, such as creditors, and identify type of item, such as credit account, judgment, etc.)This item(s) is(are) inaccurate because (list exactly why each item is incorrect or incomplete).Supporting documents have been enclosed. Pursuant to the FCRA, please forward them to the credit furnishers. If you are not going to forward them, please inform me immediately so that I may do so myself.Sincerely,Your name

Encl. (List what you are enclosing)

If you believe that you have incorrect or erroneous information in your credit reports, please contact one of our offices nearest to you to speak with an experienced attorney for assistance with your issue.

Ron Sykstus
Written by Ron Sykstus

Ron Sykstus is a Managing Partner of several of the Bond & Botes Law Offices throughout Alabama. He holds a Bachelor of Science from the University of Arizona, Tucson, and a Juris Doctorate from the Northern Illinois University College of Law. Ron has served in numerous positions throughout the U.S. Army and now utilizes his expertise in the areas of VA issues, security clearances, military law, and bankruptcy to assist his clients when they need it most. Read his full bio here.

Printer Friendly Version